Saturday, September 5, 2009

week one

First week of classes of the fall semester down. A few more to go. For the first time ever I have managed to schedule all of my classes on Tuesdays/Thursdays. I'll be on campus pretty much all day with some nice breaks in between for coffee and library time. Work will take up four of the other days of the week. Why so much work? Well, it looks like my final petition for financial aid will be denied. So this semester it's all me. It's doable. Does anyone know the how much they pay for blood these days?
Work isn't all bad. The museum has me teaching outreach classes among other things. Friday was spent with fourth graders doing the California program. It's not such a bad gig when one of the cute little buggers comes up at the end just to tell you you're awesome. The new museum space construction should be done by year end, so that adds a new level of excitement to the place. And it sounds like some staffing shifts should work out nicely.
As for the other pay for work place. The one where I count other peoples money all day. This morning I was scheduled to work at a branch thirty minutes away. After staying up late last night having an amazing home cooked dinner and going to see the late showing of Inglorious Basterds with friends I get up after a mere four hours of sleep to go in. I arrive to a staff that has no idea I'm scheduled to be there and have no need of me. The manager who made the request was on vacation. I leave a message for my boss, pour a cup of coffee and take off. I'm all dressed up with no where to go. On the upside I'm awake and have an unplanned day to myself. So I'm going to clean the apartment, buy laundry detergent and go to the library. I'm so exciting, I know.

No comments: